Galleries and Personal Works:
Mustaffa Ahmad (nickname: Tapa Otai)
Mustaffa finished his secondary education in one of the oldest school in the country King Edward VII Secondary School, Taiping in 1973. With art and music as his passion, he joined School of Art & Design, Institute Technology Mara, Shah Alam in 1974 and graduated in 1978.
With minimal education, but with strong spirits and determination, he slowly positioned and made his mark in the challenging world of advertising and design. Mustaffa had over 35 years experience in advertising, design, films, video productions, and events.
After leaving Idris Associates, he concentrates in doing what he loves most, that is designing CD covers, box-set and doing the music video for major recording companies and artists. He plays quite a major role in the music industry. He is given a task in creating image and logo for AIM Award, Akademi Music Malaysia, and Persatuan Karyawan. With a few friends and support of recording company, Video M Awards (first and only local music video award) was created. This including selecting of the music video, judging and putting up the awards nite. Until today he still received a commission to do covers for the independent band and established artists (more than 400 covers).
He loves to practice photography especially Street Photography and Concert Photography during his free time as a hobbyist but his strong background in arts and design, the result is far than outstanding.
“He delves in story telling via street portraiture, capturing life story through signs and blemishes that are revealed in portraits. Venturing to the city streets and back alleys, the artist captures emotions and expressions so vividly, forcing the audience to be face to face with the subjects and inevitably share their moods and sentiments.” – NikonClub Malaysia.
- Designer at EMI (Malaysia) Sdn. Bhd., 1978-1979
- Visualiser at Advertising Marketing Communication (AMC) Sdn. Bhd., 1979-1980
- Visualiser and Art Director for J. Walter Thompson Advertising, 1980-1982
- Senior Art Director later becomes Creative Director for Idris Associates Advertising Sdn. Bhd., 1983-1993
- Appointed as Creative Director for Bloomingdale Advertising Sdn. Bhd. as Creative Consultant to DRB-Hicom Group of Companies, 1996
- Participated in A Photographic Documentary, “lifescape” Exhibition, Nikon Centre Kuala Lumpur, 2015
All Right Reserved © 2016 Mustaffa Ahmad